Monday, October 20, 2008

See Ya in a While

A few weeks ago I lost my Grandpa Smith. To me he was Grandpa, and to my kids he was Grandpa-Great. I guess I didn't realize how much his passing would affect me. I do miss him, and have had many sad moments in recent weeks. In the week leading up to and during the weekend of the funeral, I spent a lot of time explaining things to my older boys. Through tears, they would often say to me, "I don't think I will be able to say good-bye." Mike and I would just tell them that they don't have to say good-bye, they can just say, "see ya in a while." That has helped me over these last few weeks. I feel like Grandpa is up there watching out for me and my family.

This is one of my favorite pictures from that weekend (thanks Susan). Nathan is being comforted by his Great-Grandma. Nathan is the oldest Great-Grandchild. The love that spans generations is so powerful and real.



Little Lyddie May


Ryan was really trying to figure everything out. He kept asking, "Is Grandpa sleeping now?"



This is my Grandma with all of her daughters. My mom, Debbie, is sitting on my Grandma Smith's left.



This is a picture of me with all of my first cousins that were in attendance. I am the oldest grandchild.



When you say "see ya in a while" to someone you love, family becomes so very, very important. I am so grateful for my family.

5 comments:

Mattie Rae said...

Sorry for your loss. My grandfather passed away in August and it was a difficult time for me too. My grandparents live next door to us so I got to see him all the time. I was there when he passed and it was so sad. It took me a while before I was ready to deal with normal life again. You have a great family there to support you.

Cece Girl said...

Thanks for sharing this.xoxo

Angie said...

Great post Jennie. I loved all the pictures! I appreciated the explanation too. It is a good reminder.

shanl said...

Cute family jennie! You look fabulous! Are you guys still in the Boise area? We are in Nampa. It would be fun to get our families together sometime!

Chandy said...

Jennie, I was so glad to see your comment on my slow-going, up and coming blog. I've been thinking of you and missing you. I was wondering if you could e-mail me the picture of you and me and the boys last stair-step pic. I'm missing our gatherings and outings.

Love you!
Chandy