Monday, November 17, 2008

Seattle, Forks and So Much Fun!

This is the post that I made for our girl's trip. Before we left town I made "Twilight Music Mixes" for each car to listen to on our trip. I created the mixes from ITunes. If you are interested, I included all of the songs in my playlist at the very bottom of my blog. We left our homes at about 10:30 on Thursday morning and then the fun began. In this picture you can see my friend Leah Walker, her friend (now my friend, too) Trina Brough, my friend Amanda Stevens, Brooklyn (who is Kayla's friend), Kayla (my niece), my friends Tina Jones, and Kristen Baker and Me! We arrived in Seattle about 6 p.m. after encountering little skiffs of snow, torrential rain, and some mild traffic. We ate dinner at my mom's. It is a tradition in our family that on the first night you arrive from your travels, you have American Tacos. They are tacos made with Chili and Fritos--Delicious, Quick and Easy.


On Friday morning we got up early to drive over to Forks. We encountered more torrential down pour, and really did drive through forests that looked just like this one.

This is the first place that we took pictures when we arrived in Forks. This sign is just next to the main highway. We had lots of people honking at us and waving. The locals say that they are pretty used to this kind of thing by now and they love it. These books have breathed new life into this little logging community.

Jolinn and Amanda



Me, Amanda, Leah, Tina, Trina and Kristen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



La Push is about a 10 minute drive from Forks. Once you make the turn to head to First Beach, you very quickly enter the Queilete Indian reservation. The drive to La Push was through some open spaces scattered with fallen trees, stumps and wildflower. Many of us could totally picture Bella making a run for the Reservation Border. We then entered some forest areas. Signs indicated lots of hiking trails, and roads to other beaches. We drove past the turn-off to Third Beach, and then Second Beach. Finally the view opened up to reveal the ocean. We followed the little road all the way through town. LaPush actually sits right next to the water. On the farthest edge of town (which is literally only 2-3 long stone throws away) lies First Beach:



Here are some of the pictures that we snapped at First Beach, in La Push. You can see the cliffs in the background, behind Trina and Leah. It was so windy!! I have been some windy places in my day...but this was definitely the most blustery. I parked my van directly facing the ocean and it took all of my strength to get my car door open. It really wasn't that cold, just windy and wet. The view took my breath away. The waves were huge and very rough. We met a lady at the Scrapbook/Floral store in town, and she said that during the summer Twilight Fans come hang out on the beach, build campfires and gaze up at the moon.













Amanda, Jolinn, and Lauren



Below: Kristen and Me---Can you get a feel for it? Check out my hair!



EVERY store and restaurant where we stopped had a guest book to sign. People are visiting Forks from all over the country! Before we started our Sight Seeing Tour we stopped a place called Sulley's Drive-In. When you walked in it was an older "hole-in-the-wall" type feeling. The people were so friendly and we had some great, greasy, hamburgers, fries and milk shakes. I couldn't resist ordering the "Bella Burger." It came complete with a plastic set of vampire teeth! So cute. This is Bella's house. I don't know about you, but this is exactly how I pictured it. The sign says, "Home of the Swan's."




When we got to the High School the kids were just getting out. It sounds like they are pretty used to people stopping and taking pictures.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



This is the Forks Hospital. I think Bella is brought here a couple times in the Twilight Series. Dr. Cullen is a well known, and respected physician in these parts. He has a designated parking spot!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the Cullen's House. You can see that below their name is clearly on the mailbox. The whole town was exactly as you would have imagined it. At one point during the day I texted Mike: "It is raining cats and dogs!!!" He responded, "Doesn't it have to be for the Vampires to come out?" With all that rain it really was magical, like being part of the book.

Bella's Truck is parked outside the Forks Chamber of Commerce. The lady's in there were so much fun. They told us interesting stories and showed us the mail that people send them from all over the world (no-for real!). One was a love letter to Bella from a man in Africa, vowing to come and marry her some day (that's a little freaky). Another was a real acceptance letter from the college where Bella applied for school. The back window of the car was shot out (remember the book?)...and notice the licence plate. The rain just kept coming down in sheets. That didn't stop us. I just love this picture below. Just a goofy bunch of "Twilighter's," as they are know throughout the region.

Our last stop on our Twilight Tour was at Bella Italia, on our way back through Port Angeles. Maybe you remember it from the book. The food was great and the service was fantastic. The atmosphere was really quaint and we could all voted on which table we think Edward and Bella "sat." Kristen wondered if there were any of the Port Angeles scenes that we could re-enact. We all laughed at the idea someone came up with. "Maybe we could get that guy over there to chase us through the alleys of the ghetto part of town!"



We went to see a matinee show of "The Drowsy Chaperone," which was hysterical. We were laughing out loud. It was really a throw-back to the old 1920's musicals. One of the first numbers was a tap dance--now that is good stuff. I leaned over to Leah and said, "When was the last time you saw tap dancing?" What a treat! I included a little video below just in case you wanted to get a little taste of what we saw. The video depicts one of our favorite numbers which was called, "I Don't Wanna Show Off No More."






There is great shopping in Seattle! One of the mornings that we were all sitting around visiting with my mom we decided that there are 4 components to a positive shopping experience: Time, Money, No Kids, and Lots of Selection. In downtown Seattle there is definitely plenty of selection. A few of us found some really cute things. My good friend Chelsea and I were waiting for the monorail. Chelsea lives close to Seattle and joined us after the play. We were good, best friends when we were young married couples. Nathan was only 18 months old at the time. We figured it had been 7 or 8 years since we had gotten together. It was great to visit and catch up. The thing I love about really good friends is that when you are back together it is like you never missed a beat. You just pick up right where you left off.






Tina and the Space Needle: A few of us took a 4 minute monorail ride out there to snap some quick pictures.




This is me taking pictures of everyone and the Seattle Space Needle. I've been there enough to know that you get the best shot laying down. Luckily we didn't have rain that day...it was a perfect day actually, so my back side didn't get wet at all.





We finally got a picture of Kristen with the Seattle Music Experience. We ran out of time to check out the museum inside. You can see it in the far background, behind the roller coaster. It is the big silver thing that looks like a mangled tin can. Pretty neat though.



Well, that was pretty much the trip. There were only 2 pictures that I didn't get on here. One was of us all doing Yoga on Saturday morning. The other was a picture of Natalie, Leah's younger sister, who spent the day with us in Seattle. She was so much fun. This was the picture we took on the balcony of my parent's house. This was right before we packed up to go home. Jolinn, Lauren and Amanda had already headed up to the airport. For me the funnest part of the trip?...late night dips in the hot tub, late night movies, and late night chats. Aren't friends great? I think the only picture I am missing is one of my mom. She was the perfect hostess. Thanks mom, for all you did. We all had a wonderful getaway!

5 comments:

shanl said...

Sounds like it was an amazing trip! Every mother should get to have a girls trip like that! Next time you go, I'm comin' too!

Anonymous said...

um, so much fun. eeeeeep.
love kelly

Kim Davis said...

My mom told me you had a fun "girls" trip. I am glad I found your blog through Tyla's so I could enjoy the play by play and pictures.

Kim Davis said...

Jana Atwood went to Eagle with me and her mom taught McKayla's Kindergarden class. I love her blog. She is so smart/funny in her writing. How do you know them?

Cece Girl said...

Jennie, love these pics. Looks like a great time! Also, I need to make sure i have the right address for you guys. Just email me. jen93065@hotmail.com
thx