Sunday, September 20, 2009

Football Games and Flashbacks...

Last Wednesday we celebrated Nathan's 11th Birthday. In our family we only have "Friend Parties" every other year, so this year we had a quiet celebration at home.

Nathan is turning into such a handsome and polite young man.





Make a Wish!




Our family took a journey down to Utah this weekend to watch the Mighty Cougars play football. We stayed with my Grandma Smith who lives within walking distance of the stadium.





This was taken before the game. You can see that we were pretty excited to be cheering on our Alma Mater, especially given that they were ranked 9th in the nation. Sadly the Mighty Cougars didn't play so mighty...it was a pretty big disappointment.





This is a picture I took of Nathan last week, after his birthday. (Notice that one shoe lace is black and one is white---He has been wearing them this way since the first day of school. When asked if this was the cool way to do it he replied, "I don't know, but I'm going to do it anyway!").

Anyway, being at my Grandma's house and going to the BYU game got me thinking about another game we went to 10 years ago, almost to the day.

This is Nathan on his first birthday, at a BYU football game, 10 years ago. Don't you love the ear plugs?



Before we headed back home I took this picture of my kids with their Great Grandma Smith, outside of her home. When I saw it, I got to thinking about this next picture:




This is a picture of me with my Great Grandma Lyman (my Grandma Smith's mom) outside of her home. I bet you can recognize me on the left, my sister, Natalie in the middle and my sister, Angie on the right. I'm not sure exactly when this was taken, but I'd have to guess it was taken when I was about the same age as Nathan is today. Pretty cool, huh?

I'm so grateful for family and memories. They are so important.
Happy Birthday Nathan!

4 comments:

Anjanette said...

The pictures with the great grandma's are so sweet.
...& I love the matching outfits you girls were wearing. Lucky Natalie could have worn the very same outfit for ten years or so. Awesome.

Amanda Stevens said...

Jennie I love your post! I love the cute B-day pics and your reflections. Isn't it amazing how fast our children grow up. Those BYU games are a distant memory. I hope you had a fun get-a-way.

Angie said...

Cute post. I loved all the pics, especially the flashbacks. Don't you love how in the Grandma Lyman picture I am wearing a sweater. I did that to be different. I had such a hard time wearing matching clothes.

Chelsea said...

What a fun post to see pictures from the present and past. I can't believe how big your kids are getting. I'm so jealous you got to go to a BYU game. We love BYU football at our house!