Saturday, September 4, 2010

Balloons

We weren't very ready for the early morning wake-ups that first week of school. I kept trying to get everyone to "practice" getting up early in the weeks leading up to the first day, but those last few days to sleep in are just so delicious, that no one was willing to give them up, I guess even me. :) So after the first week of school we were really looking forward to a nice, relaxing, slow-to-wake-up-Saturday. However, I found out that Boise was having their Annual Hot Air Balloon Festival. I had done this as a kid and for some reason have always remembered it. You have to get up early. I think we left our house at 6:15 a.m. It was dark when we got to the downtown park. As it got lighter it was cool to watch the balloons fill with air and then take off. To me there is something magical about watching the balloons go up. I'm not sure if it is magical to me because it reminds me of that scene from "The Wizard of Oz," or because the music played at the launch is moving and awe inspiring. Either way, it WAS magical watching the sun peak out over the mountains and the hot air balloons defying gravity. It was a perfect morning. We followed the launch by eating breakfast at a cafe downtown and then checking out the Downtown Farmer's Market. We missed some ZZZZ's that morning, but made up for it later in the afternoon with naps. (Those are delicious, too). We are definitely making this a Yearly Labor Day Weekend Tradition!



No comments: