Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Early December

December was a busy and festive month. This year I really tried to enjoy every second, rather than getting stressed out. We had parties scheduled every weekend and just as many basketball games (maybe more). In between all of the "hustle and bustle" we found some moments to spend as a family. I got to have a mommy date with each of the kids and take them out to buy little presents for their brothers and sister. Usually each date ended with a trip to Starbucks for a gourmet hot chocolate with whipped cream--a holiday mommy date tradition.



This is a picture of Nathan with his atom that he made for school. He and I stayed up late one night getting it completed together. Carbon was the atom he chose. I really enjoyed telling Nathan about my seventh grade science project with my dad: a very detailed 3-D model of the Water Cycle. Do you remember that Dad? How do you think we did?



Here we are doing our annual Sugar Cookie evening. Danny picked out a stocking and wrote the icing inscription "Dan Rocks" (simply because he couldn't fit Dan-ny)...perfect with red and green sprinkles.




Mike and I got to go to a birthday party with some friends. It was a Murder Mystery that took place in 1962. I got this awesome dress on Ebay and my jewels were from Forever 21. Man, they have some flashy jewelry there...for cheap! I went as the movie actress Doris Daily.



Mike picked out his smooth outfit at the DI. He went as the magician, Harry Hoodunit. He even studied up on some card tricks to impress the other guests. It was so fun for all of us to get dressed up.




The kids always find it very exciting to decorate the tree and the house. They run around, holding different decorations, saying, "remember this?" and "oh, I forgot about this one!" I also love unwrapping the ornaments one by one. It probably sounds silly, but it always feels to me like seeing an old friend you haven't seen for a long time.




My mom has been sending us a few ornaments every year since we were first married. Each year, at the beginning of December, she sends us a package and we all get to open an ornament that was hand picked just for us. Lydia took her job of placing ornaments very seriously.




She was sitting here for quite awhile! Take your time and enjoy it, Lydia. Before you know it we'll be putting our "old friends" away until next year.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Jennie, you are so beautiful holding potato mashers or decked out in 1960's garb. I started undecorating today and it really does make me sad to put Christmas things away for the whole year. Andrew asked me if we could leave up the nativity set "for this whole year and another."