Saturday, December 11, 2010

Basketball

Ryan's Y-Ball and Nathan AAU finished up on the same day.

Nathan's team lost in the tournament, but had an outstanding season! Nathan has worked really hard to improve his game. Go Eagle!




Ryan got to play on a team with kids from his class at school. He got to do the beginning jump ball for the last game of the year.




Kindergarten Basketball in Action!




In my mind, and Ryan's, one of the main reasons that you play Y-Ball is for the End of Season Party and the Trophy that is usually presented. After years of watching his other brothers come home with trophies, Ryan was ready for his turn. He talked about it for weeks, wondering what his trophy would look like and how much longer it would be until he got one. I'm not sure how it happened, but the team mom and coach decided that a party wasn't necessary. What??? Hmmm... they are only 5 and 6 years old and the party may well be the most important part! If I had been organized enough, or realized in time, I suppose I could have thrown one together, but instead we decided to have our own family party. Y-ball teams all over the valley were celebrating. As we were walking into the pizza joint, Ryan was seeing other kids walk out with their basketball trophies. Ryan politely said to me, "Mom, I am going to try and be happy even though I don't get a trophy this time." Lucky for him, Mike and I went and picked out a trophy just for him--maybe the best six bucks ever spent. :) He was pretty surprised and proud of himself. We recognized all of his basketball accomplishments and cheered for him. Great season! Can't wait until next year.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

That is SO sweet Ryan said that. I'm so glad you guys got him a trophy. I probably would have cried at the story otherwise. :/ You guys are such great and thoughtful parents!